Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Evolution of a Painting



The Evolution of a Painting



As a creative person and a problem solver, I am often surprised by the notion that a problem may have only one right answer or way of doing things (this is probably why I was such a hopeless math student). I know that when I work, problems arise, and problem solving is an essential part of my creative process. This is true in my school, it is true in my home, and it is certainly true with my art creation.

 I like to document my creative process when I can (when I remember), because it is a tangible reminder when presented with a final piece, that this was not the only possible final piece or outcome. This piece (any piece) represents the outcome of a series of choices, each dependant upon the one before.

I don't always remember to take pictures of my art as it develops, but I did take a few for my most recent piece that I'd like to share with you.

My Process: 


 I start with a blank canvas.  In this case, the canvas is 3 feet by four feet.  I usually begin with sketches on paper, but they always change when I bring them to the canvas.  In this case, based on the conversation with my client, I knew I was creating a tablescape, and that the theme would be Shabbat.  I started with my layout, knowing that I would be layering Shabbat images in and around the big central vase. on the rounded table.
I added the shapes and images as they related to the table and vase, and adjusted sizes as needed.  At this point I set up my paint palette, deciding on warm, vibrant colors and bright blues.  I block out the color and fill my canvas fairly quickly.  This is only the first stage and I don't worry so much about muddy or flat colors.  I am mostly looking to make decisions about object placement, color and shape.  I'm looking to see what my main colors will be, and  I change some colors based on their proximity to each other and the overall design.  

Later, I adjust the colors, and add highlights.  When I am almost finished, I outline the whole piece--usually with a mix of dioxane purple and ultramarine blue, and continue to adjust colors as I go. By doing my outline at this stage, I can clearly see where I need to continue to deepen or adjust my colors.  sometimes I find my shapes are not working, and I change them.   Here I changed the background and deepened the shadows, and added color highlights.  

Communicating with my client...

By now, I know there is still more to do, but I am happy enough to send a picture of the painting to my client to hear what she has to say.  Incidentally, at this stage, I am very nervous to hear her response.  This is a large painting and the color palette might be a bit too much for her.  I don't know her personally, and am relying on phone calls and digital communications to ensure that she gets what she wants.  

She writes back that she is thrilled--loves the bright colors and joyful shapes.  Whew! what I relief.  She suggests a change to the top of the wine bottle, which I will happily make, while I brighten up certain spots and add  a few more small details.  

And Finally...

I added a few more details than I anticipated.  This piece has certainly taken on a life of its own.  It has a lot of vibrant color and shape that I am very excited about.  Here are some close ups:  







 And here (below) is the final! I shipped it out last week and was holding my breath to hear what my client thinks. It is very nerve wracking to send out a commissioned piece, because they are such a leap of faith, both for the client and for me.  (imagine spending a lot of money on something that doesn't even exist yet, based only on  faith and prior works---It is an honor for me whenever someone does it, and I get nervous each time wondering if I am up to the task).

 She called me as soon as it arrived to tell me that she loves it!  She got a little teary telling me what it meant to her, and I got VERY teary hearing her emotional response.  I am so grateful to be able to share this painting with her.

Shabbat Dinner Table with Flowers...For Yvonne










No comments:

Post a Comment