Friday, January 8, 2016

Freaking Out!!!

Its been about 8 months since I got the call from the Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art that they wanted me to do a solo exhibition with 45 original pieces.  This is a really big deal for me, both in terms of venue and in terms of quantity of pieces and exposure.  I was really excited, and nervous, and of course I said yes.
After that call, in July, I had the director of the museum visit my studio and help me determine which pieces would work for the show.  We determined the theme: Tradition and Inspiration, we picked out 43 existing pieces, and we agreed on two large scale pieces based on concept alone.
This means that I have been working for 8 months on getting ready. I have been framing, fixing up and formatting, as well as creating the two new pieces, and finishing up three others.

And here we are---the work is due in ten days, and NOW I'm panicking.  You know that feeling when you've been looking at something for so long that it no longer makes any sense? Thats how I feel about my work right now.
I sort of hate it.  but I love it.  but I hate it.  And I'm wondering if any of it is good enough to be in a museum.  And I want to start completely over, because the work in my head is SO much better than the work that I actually see in front of me.  And whatever I'm working on in the present is always the BEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE and everything else that I have ever done is total CRAP.  and also, give it a week, because that is about how long it takes for the best thing I have ever done to become total crap too.
oy vey---I think I'm a little nervous.


No comments:

Post a Comment